We are now well into to summer and my Instagram and Twitter feed are full of people going on their holidays, isn’t it great? It’s getting me so excited for my 30 day Trek America trip next April.
Although I’m not going anywhere this year, I’m already planning in advance the ways I can keep my home safe while I am away. There are a lot of things that, although horrible to think about, could happen to your house while you’re on holiday so the sooner you put things into place the better.
With that in mind, here a few of my top tips for keeping your house safe while on holiday.
- Make sure all of your windows, doors and gates are shut properly. Leaving your house for a holiday can be super exciting, but stressful at the same time, so make sure you don’t miss anything.
- If you have a trusted neighbour let them know you’re going away and ask them if they don’t mind keeping an eye on your house while you’re gone.
- Don’t make it look like you’re going to be gone for a few days/weeks. Leave your curtains on and a light on so your place still looks lived in. Even better – set your lights on a timer if you can!
- Hide any valuables so they can’t be seen through the windows.
- Make sure your house insurance is up to date. Chill Home Insurance is a great resource for searching for and comparing home insurance quotes.
- Arrange for a family member or friend to keep hold of your keys and come and check on the house every few days.
- Make sure your alarms are set before you leave.
- Be careful what you post online, you could tip off potential criminals.
- Unplug your TV, toaster, kettle ect. It will reduce the chance of any electricity failures or power surges.
Are you going on holiday this year? How will you be keeping your home safe?
Lots of Love,