Ever since I first discovered The Library of Fragrance* I have been in love with their scents, so you can imagine how happy I was when they kindly gifted me some of their favourite perfumes! For those of you that don’t know, The Library of Fragrance are a NY based company that create fragrances based on the smells that surround us every day and some of their most popular scents include Baby Powder, Gin & Tonic, Grass and Dirt.
Three of the colognes I was sent were Cherry Blossom, Daisy and Fresh Laundry, which when layered together create an amazing scent that reminds me so much of summer. Each of The Library of Fragrance’s perfumes are uniquely designed as single scents so that you can mix, match and layer to create your perfect bespoke scent.
Cherry Blossom is my favourite scent out of the three as I am a sucker for sweet smelling perfumes. It is quite a floral scent with a subtle hint of cherries, its absolutely gorgeous! When I am not layering my fragrances this is definitely my go to scent for single use.
Daisy makes me feel so nostalgic, as it really reminds me of making daisy chains as a kid. I don’t know why I am surprised but it smells exactly like daisies, rather than just being another floral scent! It’s the perfect summer fragrance and I think it is quite subtle and light, making it perfect for layering.
I absolutely love nothing more than getting into bed after just washing my sheets and that is exactly what Fresh Laundry smells of. Having one of my guilty pleasure in scent form is like a dream come true and although I probably won’t be wearing this scent as a singular perfume too often, it is absolutely gorgeous when layered with both Cherry Blossom and Daisy.
As mentioned before, each of The Library of Fragrance colognes has an individual scent which can be described as a ‘single-note’ fragrance, meaning they are perfect for layering together to make your own custom scent. Their website features an amazing guide on how to do this, but I am going to share a few hints and tips based on my experience too!
Tips for Layering Perfume
1) Think about what fragrances will go well together and compliment each other. The Library of Fragrance has over 300 different fragrances so you would be there forever if you tried to create all of the possible combinations.
2) Keep it simple. Don’t try to layer more than 2-3 different fragrances or you will end up losing some of the more subtle scents in a mass of different fragrances.
3) Make it personal and find a scent that you think represents you. I have a scent that when people smell it they automatically think ‘Oh, that reminds me of you!’ and I love how people associate me with it.
4) Apply the heavier scents first, otherwise, you will end up overpowering the more subtle scents and you won’t be able to smell them.
5) Test if before you wear it, otherwise you might end up stuck wearing a combination you don’t like.
6) If you like it, don’t worry what anyone else thinks of your fragrance. What is important is that it’s something you created and something you’re proud of.
So far, my favourite combination is Cherry and then Daisy, but I do also love a quick spritz of Fresh Laundry on top on days when I am feeling more adventurous! I love that the fragrance is unique and I have even had a few compliments too!